How to apply.
Seniors may begin submitting applications on Monday, March 19, 2018. Please follow instructions precisely because incomplete forms will automatically be disqualified.
- The application cannot be saved between writing sessions, so it must be filled out in one sitting. Suggestion: Create a separate document for your four essay responses, revise, edit, and only at that time, copy/paste to the appropriate boxes in the online application form. Responses to each prompt can be no more than 250 words.
- Prompts have been chosen to elicit very personal and W-L specific responses. This application is not part of the Common Application…it is for the W-L Foundation. Do not copy-and-paste your college essays.
- Be sure to check the box giving permission for the Washington-Lee High School Office of Counseling Services to release your official transcript to the Washington-Lee High Education Foundation for consideration as part of your scholarship application.
- When the annual bulletin is produced, the Foundation will access photographs of scholarship recipients through official school files, so please E-Initial the waiver regarding use of the photo and information for the bulletin.
- When you are completely satisfied with your application, press SEND…but no later than 11:59 PM, Wednesday, April 25, 2018.
How will the scholarship determinations be made?
The Board of Directors of the Foundation will make the selection based on reviews of all complete applications submitted. The committee evaluates each candidate based on:
- Content and composition of the essays submitted (attention will be given to the format and writing skills, as well as content);
- Academic progress in high school as verified by official student transcript;
- Participation in activities (honors, awards, clubs, performances, sports), community service, employment, and family responsibilities;
- Educational goals after high school…you must include the name of the school you will be attending;
- Financial need to meet expenses at the chosen institution of higher learning.
No Letters of Recommendation will be accepted.
When will the scholarships be announced?
Scholarship applicants will receive an email notice from the Foundation followed by an official letter confirming their scholarship status, no later than June 1, 2018. Announcement of winners is officially published in the end of year Crossed Sabres, as well as other Arlington publications.
The number of scholarships awarded is based on the contributions received during the Annual Giving Campaign.
Current application process will begin on Monday March 19, 2018.